NYS Certificate of Residence

Cut your tuition

If you are a New York State resident, you can reduce your tuition by submitting a Certificate of Residence to Jamestown Community College.

For tuition purposes, New York residency means that you have lived in this state as a permanent resident for 12 months prior to the start of the semester. If you have not lived in New York State for 12 consecutive months, contact the Business Office as soon as possible. New York State Education Law 6305 requires the college to have a current certificate of residence on record for your student account every academic year.

Chautauqua & Cattaraugus counties

If you are a resident of New York and have resided in Chautauqua or Cattaraugus County for one year, no certificate of residence is required. View your bill to verify that it reflects the correct tuition rate.

If you have not lived in Chautauqua or Cattaraugus County for one year:

  1. Complete the online Certificate of Residence form (CHAU & CATT). Ensure all fields marked with * are completed - they are required and the form cannot be submitted if these are not all filled in.
  2. Sign the form and submit it electronically.
  3. You will receive an email that requires your verification to complete the process. This must be verified or the COR will not be received. Once the verification process is complete, the electronic form will have been submitted.
  4. Once it has been reviewed, you will receive an email confirmation.
  5. When completing this form, if you selected another county, you will need to follow the county's instructions to obtain a certified affidavit of residence from that county treasurer’s office for the period you lived there.

Appeal information

If a SUNY community college student is denied a certificate of residence from their home county, such student may appeal to SUNY System Administration for reversal. Such appeal communication should contain the student’s contact information and details about the denial from the county. Please note that denials can only be reversed if either the county or the college made an error or did not follow relevant legal requirements. Students can submit appeals by email to CCLegalLiaison@suny.edu or by physical mail to Johanna Duncan-Poitier, Senior Vice Chancellor for Community Colleges and the Education Pipeline, SUNY H. Carl McCall Building, 353 Broadway, Albany, NY 12246.